Tuesday, August 20, 2013

GSP: I Always Say Yes to the fans



About 22 minutes into this clip, Georges St-Pierre is asked about the pressure of being a public figure, and GSP answers:

I'm a shy guy, to tell you the truth, I don't enjoy being bothered and I never say no to a fan. I say yes to everybody. But I don't enjoy this, that's the only reason why I'm fighting; I'm fighting because I like to do what I do; my lifestyle like in the training, it's a healthy lifestyle, like back in the day the Samurai used to train every day and the fighting and the competition. For the fans it's part of the game and you have to do it, even though sometimes you have some days where you don't feel like it, but it's your duty as athlete to do it. Because the fans that pay it's going to make you live, so you have to do it. So I force myself to do it all the time.

Georges St-Pierre sees the big picture and knows he wouldn't be able to make a living with fans so knows it's his duty to fulfill their requests. Pierre's attitude comes along with being a traditional martial artist coming from a Karate background. Some MMA fans like to denigrate traditional martial arts, but they bring in three powerful tools for life: Respect, Honor, and Discipline. For GSP, he shows this by having the honor code to serve the fans, have the respect for them, and have the discipline to follow through with it every single time. GSP is one of the classiest fighters out there and that comes from having a code of honor being that type of good person and respecting all. The discipline aspect of it comes with him staying consistent in this approach, whether he feels like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment




More interesting and intelligent quotations